I interview Dr. Julie Hanks, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, author, and assistant professor at Utah Valley University on the topic of helping betrayed women become more assertive with their needs.
Specifically, we discuss:
- Why betrayed women need skills to protect themselves from harm, manipulation, and abuse.
- How assertiveness isn't the same as aggression.
- Why assertiveness is difficult for women.
- Why assertiveness can make life more peaceful.
- What to do if other people can't or won't hear your voice and needs.
- Three approaches to assertiveness and which one is more effective.
- Ways to begin practicing assertiveness.
Julie de Azevedo Hanks, PhD, LCSW is a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist with 28 years experience specializing in women’s emotional health and relationships. She is an assistant professor of social work at Utah Valley University. Dr. Hanks is the founder and director of Wasatch Family Therapy, an outpatient therapy clinic in Cottonwood Heights and Bountiful, UT. She is author of The Burnout Cure and The Assertiveness Guide for Women, a blogger, a local and national media contributor, an online influencer, a private practice consultant, and an award-winning performing songwriter. A native Californian, Hanks currently lives in Sandy, UT. For additional resources visit DrJulieHanks.com or connect with @drjuliehanks on social media.
The Illuminate Podcast is hosted by Geoff Steurer, MS, LMFT and founder of LifeStar of St. George, Utah, a treatment program for couples healing from the impact of pornography and sexual addiction. Learn more at www.lifestarstgeorge.com.
Geoff has also created audio and video courses to help support individuals and couples in marriage, addiction, and betrayal trauma recovery at www.geoffsteurer.com/store. Illuminate listeners can enter promo code: ILLUMINATE at checkout and save 15%.