From Crisis to Connection: Dr. Mark Matheson - How to become more honest (part 2) - Episode 86Apr 02, 2021
In part 2 of my interview with Dr. Mark Matheson, we continue the discussion on how to be more honest. He shares specific skills we can practice and teach to our families and organizations to improve our honesty. See below for a summary of the skills.
Connect with me on social media:
Visit www.geoffsteurer.com for online courses and other supportive resources.
About Dr. Mark Matheson
Dr. Matheson has an MBA from Harvard and a doctorate in organizational leadership from UoP. From 2010 to 2019 Brother Matheson taught at BYU-Hawaii and Southern Virginia Universities. Before his retirement, he has been a partner and senior analyst with three investment banks. He was also an Adjunct Professor for four years and guest lectured at eight other universities. He taught at BYU Education Week for four years, seminary for five years and for the last seventeen years, when he is in Utah, he has served as a volunteer teacher serving the Utah State Prison. He loves to mentor young adults as they face multiple important life decisions. He posts thought-provoking ideas daily under the titles @ScriptureAnalyst and @ConferenceAnalyst, the same on both Instagram or Facebook.
Three Facilitators of Honesty all starting with “E”:
Will your kids highlight your honesty at your funeral?
Accept the challenge to correct prior poor honesty modeling.
1) Practice Self Reminders
2) Guard Against Rationalizing
3) Recognize Your Own White Lies
4) Rehearse Honest Responses
Take down the barriers that keep honesty from thriving.
1) Avoid Presumptive Honesty – It can happen to your kids
2) Use One-on-One Interaction. Get them talking privately.
3) Do Not Abandon Rules and Honesty Enforcement
4) Disable Economic Motivators for Dishonesty
Turn around dishonest practices.
1) Share Information in Openness and Transparency
2) Understand What to Disclose
3) Reduce the Fear of Reporting or Confessing Dishonesty
4) Implement an External Assessment & External Personal Honesty Accountability
FREE: 3 Steps to End Your Marriage Argument
Download my free PDF guide and start making real progress to healing
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.